Golubac is situated in one of the most beautiful parts of the Balkans, where the Danube is the widest, nature is the greenest, and magic is the strongest.
Either you wish to be in the centre of events or you prefer to enjoy intact nature, in Golubac you will find a place for yourself and experience fabulous hospitality of hosts.
The Danube is the most important resource, the most attractive natural potential of the area and the symbol and trademark of Golubac municipality.
Here, the Danube is the widest in its entire course. In Golubac, it is even 6.5 km wide (Djerdap lake) and then suddenly it narrows near the Fortress to just several hundred meters. On Romanian side of the bank, slopes of the Carpathian Mountains can be seen with wonderful landscapes and many cave entrances.
On Serbian side, the Homolje Mountains (up to 700 m high) stretch above the Danube hiding still unexplored beauties and secrets of Vlach rites and customs. The Danube is exceptionally rich in fish like catfish, perch, pike, asp, chub, barbel, sturgeon, roach and many others, so everybody who likes peace and quite will enjoy in it.
For others, the Danube is endless adventure that will overcome you over and over again.
Djerdap National Park
The largest national park in Serbia (63.608 ha) occupying over a half of area of Golubac municipality.
There are four nature reserves in Golubac municipality (Golubac Fotress, Bojana, Bosman–Sokolovac and Tatarski Vis) and thus no much need to talk about clean and unpolluted environment.
As well as being abundant and diverse, the Djerdap flora is famous for its distinct relict character with species that include Turkish filbert, Montpellier maple, European holly, small nettle, lungwort, lilac and so on. Animal species are also plentiful: wolf, deer, roebuck, bear, lynx, jackal, eagle, various bird species and three new species, namely long-eared bat, gray dormouse and Golubac midge. Such diversification of species makes the National Park true natural, scientific and research center.
Iron Gate, also known as Djerdap gorge (Serbian: Djerdapska klisura), is the largest river gorge in Europe where the mighty Danube had broke through the Carpathian Mountains for 90 km.
It consists of four gorges: Golubac gorge, Gospodjin Vir, Kazan (here, the river reaches depth of 90 m), and Sip gorge as well as of three valleys: Ljupkovska, Donjomilanovacka and Orsava. Golubac gorge, Ljupkovska valley and Gospodjin Vir gorge are located in Golubac municipality.
This is a territory of unique and grandiose beauty of total area of 1,236.24 ha with interchanging natural rarities and remains of ancient civilizations, exquisite landscapes and geomorphologic traits with refugium specifics.
Formed by the erection of a hydro power plant in 1971, it is a largest artificial lake in Serbia with area of 253 km2. The lake is one of the deepest in Europe and reaches width of 6.5 km nearby Golubac.
Brnjica River gorge
The gorge covers the basin of the Brnjica River above Golubac gorge and has specific microclimate and outstanding flora and fauna. One of the most beautiful walking paths in the National Parks goes along the gorge.
The Brnjica River is also the largest water current in the National Park. There is Rakovica settlement with a dozen of salash – traditional farms – barely touched by civilization. Salash can be also found on a mountain peak Crni Vrh (624 m above see level), offering a splendid view of the National Park, the Danube and Romania. Crni Vrh is among most beautiful lookouts in the area. There is also Gaura Vei (Big Hole) cave, one of few in this part of the Park and thus special dare for adventurers.
Golubac walking path
Golubac walking path is some 6 km long and stretches along the boundary of the Djerdap National Park.
The first fork of the path leads to Velika Cuka lookout while the second fork goes to Ljiljar lookout with spacious resting place and benches. Through picturesque scenery, the path continues to Veliki izvor (English: Big Spring) where is the third lookout with a view of Velika Cuka and the Danube. Along the path, there are many salash offering homemade food and drinks and authentic handiworks.
Bosman–Sokolovac walking path
The path goes through a strict nature reserve of a same name, rising up with cliffs beyond the Danube and passing by a number of lookouts offering views of Gospodjin Vir gorge and the Natural Park in Romania.
At the beginning of the path, there are some Jurassic sediment stones thick up to 200 m.
In Golubac, you can find many natural lookouts, outstanding mountain peaks and unique rock formations offering matchless and thrilling views.
Okmejdan – 378 m
Venac – 558 m
Crni vrh – 624 m
Lazino brdo – 468 m
Kljane – 420 m
Kraku-lung – 604 m
Kornovski vis – 632 m
Orlova – 462 m
Rapanis – 586 m
Jezdin vrh – 685 m
Salčn – 565 m
Starčev vrh – 505 m
Ložana – 422 m
Kugljev vrh – 476 m
Sečinski vrh – 626 m
Waterfall on Ridan is true oasis next to the main road with charming resting place and benches. Right below the waterfall, there is a spring of fresh and clean mountain water.
Tufa accumulation near Tumane monastery
Natural monument Tufa Accumulation near Tumane Monastery is categorized as III level of protection. It is situated at 250 meters above sea level.
In small area, just some 200 m long, a number of morphological forms can be found: 14 meters high cascade, several smaller cascades, chutes and tufa tubs. Distinctiveness of the monument comes from Zosim Sinait’s hermitage in tufa and a fountain where gifts to souls of deceased are brought as well as from old oak and beech forest.
Surroundings of Tumane monastery is also a zone of extraordinary natural beauty.
Golubac fortress is under protection of the National Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments since 1948 and in 1979, it has been categorized as the cultural heritage of exceptional importance. The Fortress is located within the Djerdap National Park. Octagonal Sesir Kula (Eng: Hat Tower), formerly used as a pier of the Fortress, nowadays is the symbol and trademark of Golubac.
The first known record of Golubac fortress dates back to 1335 when it was mentioned as Hungarian military fortification although it is not known when precisely it was built or who built it. Byzantines used it to fortify its northern borders; Hungarians to protect its estates across the Danube; Serbs to guard its territory from Hungarian invasions… Due to exceptional geostrategic location, over centuries, many times it was a target of various conquerors and battlefield of different armies.
Peace was achieved after the territory had come under Serbian rule, during the reign of King Dragutin. Because of lack of conflicts, there is very little written data from that period. Until Battle of Kosovo, it had been under Serbian rule but after the Battle, it came under Turkish rule – the Fortress was occupied by Ottoman sultan Bayazit and it would stay under Ottoman rule, with shorter interruptions, until 1867.
One of interruptions was during the rule of Despot Stefan Lazarevic. He was inherited by his younger brother Djuradj (son of Vuk Brankovic), who had been obliged to return Macva, Belgrade and Golubac to Hungarians to be acknowledge as the heir. However, during his life, Despot Stefan gave the town to Duke Jeremija as collateral for loan of 12.000 golden ducats. When Stefan died, Hungarian King Sigismud had come to take over agreed lands, but Jeremija refused to hand over the town – although he was ordered to do so by his ruler, Despot Djuradj Brankovic – until he gets 12.000 golden ducats. Sigismud had refused to pay requested sum and Jeremija handed over the town to Turks without battle. Then, in 1428, Sigismud attacked Golubac with huge army from land, water and Laszlovar castle, which is today in Romania.
The Fortress had been heavily damaged, but Turks kept it and stayed in it until 1444 when, according to the Peace of Szeged signed between Hungarians and Ottomans, Serbian Despotate was restored and Golubac was included in it. Turks conquered it again in 1456, when Despot Djuradj died; then Hungarian re-seized it in 1481 but left it soon. It stayed under Ottoman rule until 1867 when Turks gave it, together with some other towns, to Prince Mihailo Obrenovic.
The Fortress was built in the era of side arms, on a high rock, at the head of the Iron Gate gorge, overlooking entire surroundings. Medieval Golubac was not built on remains of some antic fortification but was erected according to plans on very important geostrategic spot.
Nearby the fortress, there are remains of Turkish bath and mosque as well as a commemorative plaque dedicated to Zawisza Czarny, a Polish knight who died nearby the Fortress while defending it from Turks.
After World War 1, the main road was constructing that went through both of portcullises of the Fortress.
Vlachs and Rusalli
Vlachs populated the Balkan Peninsula long before other nations.
Magic is an important part of Vlach life and customs and everything Vlachs believe in has, in a way, magical traits. Vlach magic, by its strength, is next to Voodoo. Relations between humans, saints and devil in present Vlach magic are remains of pagan mythology dominated by dualistic principle – no creation without clash of opposites. Vlachs brought believes in Rusalii, which maintained until present days.
Vicus Cuppae and Castrum Nove will illustrate what were life patterns in the area once upon a time.
Vicus Cuppae is related to Roman castle, which was on a hill between two streams. There was a village and it is thought that headquarters of a legion was there as well. Built between late 1st and early 2nd century AD, it was under administration of Viminacium and one of larger stations on a road to Nicomedia.
Ancient locality Castrum Nove is a settlement from 1st century BC. It’s a fortification with suburbs, pier and necropolis, all on the left bank of the Cezave River at its mouth to the Danube. Unfortunately, most of the locality is under the water.
Two buildings in Golubac municipality are registered in the National Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments:
- Building in 102 Cara Dusana Street, in downtown of Golubac, dating back to 1890/1 and under protection since 1987;
- Building in 110 Cara Dusana Street, dating back in 1893 and under protection since 1983, also in the very center of Golubac.
Usinje and Vinci communities
Situated in north part of the municipality, upstream from the town, on the bank of the Danube, Usinje and Vinci communities are almost merged in thick pine forest stretching along the shoreline, with almost 2.000 country houses.
The Danube shore here is ideal for beaches and thus it is favorite place of many vacationers and tourists during summer.
Just 9 km from Golubac, the monastery is situated in beautiful and unpolluted natural environment where peace and silence are disturbed only by Tumanska River.
The monastery was built in 14th century, on the eve of Battle of Kosovo, in Serbian-Byzantium style and dedicated to Archangel Gabriel. As an endowment of Milos Obilic, the name of monastery is closely related to its founder.
The monastery was burnt down and demolished in the First and the Second Serbian Uprising but renovated during the reign of Prince Milos Obrenovic. In 1910, it was secretly mined and razed to the ground but rebuilt in 1924. In 1993, the monastery is fully painted and restored.
Today, the monastery has compartments for lodging of clergy as well as other household buildings. It is a women’s monastery where four nuns, a monk and a priest live. In addition to St. Zosim’s relics, there is also Saint Miraculous Russian icon.
Besides being an area of outstanding natural beauty, the surroundings of Tumane monastery is distinctive as natural monument and for tufa accumulation. There is a fountain in tufa where gifts to souls of deceased are brought as well as an old oak and beech forest.
Zosim Sinait’s hermitage
It’s a cave nearby the monastery, deeply in the forest.
Zosim was residing there, living his ascetic life dedicated to God. In 1850’s, the cave was adapted to a chapel when a monk called Pahomije decided on life in solitary.
There is a cascade-shape well nearby the hermitage with waters allegedly having miraculous and healing features. At the cave entrance, there is an inn with three rooms downstairs and five rooms upstairs.
This exceptionally beautiful and arranged house is owned by Mr. Zivojin Stokic.
The House is located in Sladinac village, 5 km from Golubac and it includes items from late 19th and early 20th century – beds, tripod stools, dishes and pottery, traditional costumes, spindles etc. – are exhibited.
Ethno Exhibit in Dobra
Located within the National Park, on 25th kilometer downstream from Golubac, near antic locality Castrum Nova, Dobra village, as place of clean and unpolluted nature, can be reached by Iron Gate main road.
Here one can see many items from previous centuries: cradle, traditional costume, carpets, dishes and pottery, crude rugs…
Traditional farms, salash, are scattered over large area of Dobra, from Asin Creek to Bosman and Ladne Vode, deeply up the Dobranska River and near walking paths.
Today are mostly deserted and used by just a few locals.
Tourist Organization of Golubac organizes excursions and visits in Golubac area. All kinds of individual or group tours, with or without a guide, can be arranged. Contact us for all additional information.
||Jackal Hunt – Branicevo village
||Hunters’ Encounters with a Wolf – Dobra village
||The Serbian Village Gatherings
||May-Day Memorial Tournament – Dobra village
||National All-Breed Dog Show
Ethno Festival Zlatni pek (Eng. The Golden River of Pek Ethno Festival)
||Danube Fair – Golubac Caldron; Ethno Village Fair; Economy and Entrepreneurship Fair
||International Kayaking Regatta
National Sailing Championship
||National Orienteering Championship
||Days of Perch